Skip to main content

Will using family criminal records help in custody case?

Virginia Beach, VA |

I have court dockets/summaries from my daughters mother's family and her husbands family. Will this help, and if so is it better to just stick with parents/siblings? My daughters mother was separated from her husband when she was born. He has not lived in the house for a year and still doesn't even though they are back together. She is now pregnant with another by him, will this be taken into any consideration? His family is involved in drug usage (I.E. mother, sister, cousins, brother) but not all have records.

NOTE: Husband still lives in PA.

Did not mention before. Custody and residence is located in VA.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I am sorry that your family is going through this, if the evidence is related to the child's care and those who impact his or her care, then it is relevant. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


If the family members have contact with the child, their criminal records may be relevant (especially if there is drug use involved). Court dockets/summaries may not be admissible in court, however. The Rules of the Virginia Supreme Court contain the basic rules of evidence as to getting in most documents and should be reviewed. If there is a Guardian ad Litem (GAL) appointed for the child, these issues should be brought to his/her attention. Otherwise, especially if you are concerned about the child's health and safety, one should be requested and/or you should retain counsel to assist you in your case.

Law Office of Kellam T. Parks, PLLC
4164 Virginia Beach Blvd., Suite 204
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
(757) 453-7744

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I am not providing legal advice. I encourage you to personally contact an attorney who practices in the area of law in order to provide all relevant information before taking any action.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer