Will using a fake credit card for hotel booking get me in trouble?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I have used a fake credit card number to book a hotel for 2 weeks. I changed my plans and did not go to the hotel. Is it possible that my IP will be tracked and the hotel will try to demand compensation or take me to court for making a fake booking? I should add that the credit card number did not belong to anyone, i.e. the number was not even a valid number but the online website I booked the hotel through, did not distinguish that the number is fake.

1. Jonathan Brian Manley

Pro

Answered . The short answer is yes, you have committed a crime, namely identity theft, among some other possibilities. It is possible for an IP address to be tracked back to you. If you are contacted by the police, hire an attorney immediately. Do not attempt to resolve it yourself.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . You committed a felony. The hotel probably won't pursue it because it didn't lose any money. You would have been caught when you tried to check in.

3. Simon Goldenberg

Pro

Answered . Yes, you can get in to trouble. You fabricated a credit card number and used it to make a purchase. Your IP can be tracked. No one can predict what action the hotel might take. If problems arise, immediately consult with a criminal attorney.