Will USCIS give me a religious worker R1 visa if a religious organization sponsors me as "religious documentary filmmaker"?

Asked 5 months ago - Oakland, CA

Is "religious documentary filmmaker" accepted as "religious occupation" ?

1. Alison Yew

Pro

2

Answered . Not in the traditional sense of the term and likely not what Congress had in mind in creating this category of visa for religious workers/ministers.

2. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

1

Answered . It will be a stretch to prove that this is a religious vocation or occupation. R-1s cannot include positions which are primarily administrative or support such as janitors, maintenance workers, clerical employees, fund raisers, persons solely involved in the solicitation of donations, or similar positions. You should discuss the overall scope of the services to be provided, as well as several other possible visa options with an immigration attorney. Best of luck.

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Answered . Not recommended. There are other visas available for creative occupations.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . That does not appear to be a religious professional job.

But, a good, and creative, lawyer might be able to find a way.

5. Maria J. Marty

1

Answered . Probably not, but worth investigating that and other options.