Will USCIS give me a religious worker R1 visa if a religious organization sponsors me as "religious documentary filmmaker"?

Oakland, CA |

Is "religious documentary filmmaker" accepted as "religious occupation" ?

1. Not in the traditional sense of the term and likely not what Congress had in mind in creating this category of visa for religious workers/ministers.

2. That does not appear to be a religious professional job.

But, a good, and creative, lawyer might be able to find a way.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

3. It will be a stretch to prove that this is a religious vocation or occupation. R-1s cannot include positions which are primarily administrative or support such as janitors, maintenance workers, clerical employees, fund raisers, persons solely involved in the solicitation of donations, or similar positions. You should discuss the overall scope of the services to be provided, as well as several other possible visa options with an immigration attorney. Best of luck.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

4. Probably not, but worth investigating that and other options.

Due to the nature of this forum, I often do not have all the information required to provide legal advice. Accordingly, my responses on Avvo are intended as general and not legal advice.

5. Not recommended. There are other visas available for creative occupations.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to seek independent and private counseling for a complete review of your case.