Will USCIS accept a computer generated birth certificate for green card?

Asked about 1 year ago - Newark, DE

I am an Indian married to a US citizen and have applied for a green card through marriage. I have not received any RFEs so far and got my interview letter which says I must take my original birth certificate to the interview. I was born in Chennai, India and apparently the Chennai Corporation will only issue computer generated electronic birth certificates. The birth certificate says it doesn't need a signature/seal and that the authenticity can be verified at the link (http://www.chennaicorporation.gov.in/online-civ...). Will USCIS accept the computer generated birth certificate? If not, what is my alternative? Will affidavits from my mother and a relative suffice? My lawyer insists I should get the original birth certificate, but looks like I can't.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your lawyer is correct.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If that is the official birth certificate issued by your government, then yes. Check the US State Department Reciprocity Tables.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  3. Dawn Chere Sequeira

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you absolutely cannot obtain it, then bring originals of school leaving certificates (elementary and high school) and at least two affidavits. You may also take the interview letter to the nearest Indian Embassy and request a certified copy of your birth certificate. Good luck!

    Please consult an immigration attorney. This does not constitute legal advice.
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now