Will underage drinking affect my citizenship application?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Fishers, IN

I'm 17 and I was recently cited for underage drinking. It's my first instance of getting in trouble with the law and I'm an exceptional student, so I'm hoping to get into the diversion program after which my record will be expunged and the case thrown out. My parents and I are currently permanent residents and are to apply for U.S. citizenship next year. I know citizenship can be rejected on the basis of lacking good moral character, and I was wondering if what I have done is serious enough to warrant a rejection.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Lynn Gorelick

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Your best source for answers to your questions should be directed to an immigration attorney. Although criminal defense and DUI lawyers handle alcohol related matters, green cards, immigration status and naturalization should be discussed with an expert in that area. Contact an immigration specialist in your area for a consultation. You can contact your local bar association for a referral.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,551 answers this week

2,973 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,551 answers this week

2,973 attorneys answering