WILL/TRUST

Fresno, CA |

RECENTLY A RELATIVE OF MINE PASSED AWAY AND I WAS INFORMED THAT SHE HAD LEFT SOME ITEMS TO BE GIVEN TO ME. SHE HAS A WILL HOWEVER THE OTHER FAMILY MEMBER HAS NOT BEEN THE MOST INFORMATIVE . SINCE I'VE NEVER BEEN IN THIS POSITION BEFORE I'M NOT EXACTLY SURE OF WHAT STEPS TO TAKE NOR DO I HAVE THE NAME TO HER LAWYER. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE HELP PLEASE

1. Check the local superior court for the county in which the relative passed away to see if a probate has been filed with the court. The executor must file a probate case, and the will would be one of the documents in the file. For more information, speak to a local experienced probate attorney.

2. You can also go to the county courthouse and look up the case number. With the case number, you can pull the file and make a copy of the will. The name and contact information of the petitioner's attorney should be on the probate petition. Call him/her. Also, you could file a Request for Special Notice with the court and serve a copy on the petitioner's attorney. That will require him to notify you and serve you with copies of the papers s/he is filing with the court. I agree you should consult with competent counsel about your options. Good luck.

Wills and estates topics