Will tourist with tourist visa get denied of re entry to USA because of unpaid medical bill??

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

Good afternoon ,

my cousin and her husband came from Egypt to USA 4 years ago with visitor visa and delivered their baby here in the hospital and left the country with unpaid medical bill. now they have only one month left in their visa and they are coming back in short vacation . is there any problem in the point of entry because of unpaid medical bill or because of the short time left in the visa ?in case of proceeding a deportation for them in the airport can they claim asylum?
regards

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . You should be able to get in but you should pay your bill. You got the benefit of our medical services so what makes you think you shouldn't have to pay?

2. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . They probably won't be refused entry because they 'stiffed' the hospital. But, they may have a court judgment against them.

The bigger question is whether or not the immigration officer will let them in. "Tourists" from Egypt are now part of a 'suspect class' as regards the sincerity of their statements that they want to enter the us for a pure-vacation.

3. Marcia Irene Dore

Answered . I have never heard of someone being denied entry due to debt. DHS does not check one's credit record, tax or medical history at entry. They are only concerned one has enough money to travel (as determined by the consulate when issuing a visa). They should be fine - concerning debt , given they have no other issues ( previous over stays, fraud, etc)