Skip to main content

Will tourist with tourist visa get denied of re entry to USA because of unpaid medical bill??

Brooklyn, NY |

Good afternoon ,

my cousin and her husband came from Egypt to USA 4 years ago with visitor visa and delivered their baby here in the hospital and left the country with unpaid medical bill. now they have only one month left in their visa and they are coming back in short vacation . is there any problem in the point of entry because of unpaid medical bill or because of the short time left in the visa ?in case of proceeding a deportation for them in the airport can they claim asylum?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. They probably won't be refused entry because they 'stiffed' the hospital. But, they may have a court judgment against them.

    The bigger question is whether or not the immigration officer will let them in. "Tourists" from Egypt are now part of a 'suspect class' as regards the sincerity of their statements that they want to enter the us for a pure-vacation.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. I have never heard of someone being denied entry due to debt. DHS does not check one's credit record, tax or medical history at entry. They are only concerned one has enough money to travel (as determined by the consulate when issuing a visa). They should be fine - concerning debt , given they have no other issues ( previous over stays, fraud, etc)

  3. You should be able to get in but you should pay your bill. You got the benefit of our medical services so what makes you think you shouldn't have to pay?

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics