Will this situation present a present a problem for my future wife?

Asked over 1 year ago - White Plains, NY

My future wife entered the country in 2003 with an old passport on a tourist visa, overstayed and then left in 2006. She returned in 2007 with a new passport and was able to re-enter the U.S. with no problems and overstayed again. When we get married and I apply to sponsor her for a green card. Do the immigration officials know about her previous overstay? I tend to think not otherwise why would they have let her re-enter in 2007? And will that previous overstay present a problem with her green card application.

1. Mark Robert Barr

2

1

Answered . Your wife triggered the unlawful presence bar when she overstayed her first period of admission by over a year, and then departed. She should have been barred for re-entry for a period of ten years. The fact that she was admitted in 2007 was either a mistake, or because she concealed the amount of time she was in the U.S. previously accumulating unawful presence.

Because it has not been ten years since her 2006 departure, she will need a waiver in connection with her green card application. Getting the waiver approved will depend on whether or not she can successfully demonstrate that you will face an extreme level of hardship if she is denied admission.

2. Karen-Lee Pollak

2

Answered . This should not present a problem as long as she legally entered the US

3. Danny Garmo

1

1

Answered . On the I-130 Petition, immigration asks if your relative has never been in the States States. You must be truthful. Since immigration allowed her lawful entry (with inspection), her previous immigration violation should have no bearing on this new case. Speak to an experienced immigration lawyer to help you.

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

1

Answered . Yes. Probably not.