Will this fact affect issuance of green card on the first interview?

Asked over 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

I married US citizen that has been unemployed for the past two years and she has kidney disease (she has one kidney left). Will it affect me issuance of green card at the interview? We are both living in AZ. Since she is unemployed I have a friend who is going to be my joint sponsor, and he will fill out I 864 form. He is senior public accountant and he's income for past three years is about 70,000 a year.

1. Alicia Marie Heflin

Pro

3

Answered . Your wife's health and her unemployment will not keep you from being granted lawful permanent residence as long as you have a co-sponsor willing to sponsor you and attest that you will not become a public charge and the co-sponsor's income is sufficient for him to do so. At $70,000 per year, unless he has a very large family to support, you should have no issues.

A link to the poverty guidelines is below. Only his current income will be considered so he will need to show what his income has been for the last couple of months in addition to providing his most recent tax return(s).

Best of luck to you and your family.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Unemployment means a co-sponsor will be required for the affidavit of support requirement.

3. Irene Vaisman

2

Answered . the fact that you have a joint sponsor has no bearing on the approval of your case

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  4. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

2

Answered . Based on the facts that you provided, it does not sound like this will be a problem.

5. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

2

Answered . I am sorry to hear of your wife's health condition. The fact that she is ill and not working will not have any bearing on your case. So long as you prove the marriage is a real one (not just for "papers"), you have a qualified cosponsor, and there are no issues regarding your admissibility (criminal record, illegal entry...) there is no reason you should not get your green card. Good luck to you.

6. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

1

Answered . If you prove the marriage is bona fide to the satisfaction of the officer and have the joint sponsor, I see no reason why it shouldn't work. They can grant it after one interview or request a followup. Depends on the officer.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.
    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com