Will this come up?

Brooklyn, NY |

When applying to a state psychologist licensing board that requests a state and FBI check will sealed arrests show up? (The application doesn't request disclosure of any arrests, only convictions).

I would suggest that you do a background check of yourself first via the many services available on the internet. Regardless, do not attempt to conceal it should the employer request honest disclosure.

Herbert Tan, Esq.
E-mail: Herbert@tanlaws.com
Website: www.tanlaws.com

The National Newark Building
744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
Newark, New Jersey 07102
(973) 735-2681 (W)
(973) 735-2682 (F)

Manhattan Office
305 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, New York 10007
(914) 830-0215

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

I was arrested on disorderly conduct charges then later at the precinct I flushed a fake i.d. down the toilet and the cops said they charged me with forgery and tampering with evidence...I got to my arraignment and all the felony charges were dismissed and I received an ACD and two days of community service for the disorderly conduct charge...What I can't get a clear answer to is whether or not its worth it to pursue all my graduate education if I want to become a clinical psychologist with those charges that I had against me. I'd appreciate your counsel thank you

Herbert J Tan

Herbert J Tan

You should retain an attorney who deals specifically with disciplinary boards.

It will show up.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

was arrested on disorderly conduct charges then later at the precinct I flushed a fake i.d. down the toilet and the cops said they charged me with forgery and tampering with evidence...I got to my arraignment and all the felony charges were dismissed and I received an ACD and two days of community service for the disorderly conduct charge...What I can't get a clear answer to is whether or not its worth it to pursue all my graduate education if I want to become a clinical psychologist with those charges that I had against me. I'd appreciate your counsel thank you

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

I am a civil service commissioner in a neighboring county. We determine if an individual qualifies for public employment including law enforcement positions. In many respects we consider what a licensing board does. As I said, your arrest will show up. So will your plea to ACD as well as your sentence. Your arrest with charges dropped will show up, but if it is an isolated event, it will not prevent you from Government Service. We would also see that you received an ACD with a minimal charge, and we would not consider that incident to determine whether are able to serve even on the police force. In short, if this is the worst thing on your record, you shouldn't have a problem. Don't lie about it. If you're truly concerned call the licensing board, and confirm what I've said.

Probably, the FBI check is very thorough.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Would it disqualify me from licensure?

Vincent Peter White

Vincent Peter White

That is a complex question, it will depend on the nature of the underlying crimes I suspect.

Vincent Peter White

Vincent Peter White

You could contact the licensing board and ask. I would guess they would still pass you, but I cannot say with any certainty. It would be discretionary to the board I expect.