Will they take me to jail when I show for arraignment when a cash/surety bond has been issued?

I just got notice to appear for arraignment mon-fri 2-3pm. It states a warrant has been issued. Does this mean they will take me straight to jail when I show up? It says online that there is a $2500 cash/surety bond set. What does this mean?

Port Huron, MI -

J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Southfield, MI

"$2,500 cash/surety bond" means you either have to pay the court $2,500.00 in cash to remain out of jail on bond while your case is pending, or you need to pay a bond company a fee (usually a percentage of the $2,500.00) to post the bond on your behalf. I would strongly recommend you hire a Criminal Defense attorney as soon as possible to represent you at the Arraignment, and all subsequent Court appearances, to ensure you are protected. Your attorney may be able to convince the Arraignment Judge/Magistrate to lower your bond.

Frank B. Ford

Frank B. Ford

DUI / DWI Attorney - Dearborn Heights, MI

Either have $2,500 with you, or contact a bonding agent to arrange to buy a bond if needed. But the first thing you should do is hire an attorney to go with you to court, who may be able to get the bond reduced or even eliminated. If you show up by yourself, without an attorney and without bond money, you will go to jail until a bond is posted, either by your family or friends, or by a bonding agent if you can get one to help you. Talk to an attorney first!!! Frank B. Ford 313-565-9289

Brian M. Thomas

Brian M. Thomas

Criminal Defense Attorney - Saint Clair, MI

My colleagues are exactly right with their advice. You need to have a lawyer in this case at the very beginning, before the Arraignment. The court set your bond at $2,500.00 cash/surety for a reason - might be the nature of your charges, or if you have a prior criminal history, among other considerations. A lawyer might be able to pursuade the magistrate to setting a personal recognizance bond, meaning you wouldn't have to post any money at all, but must appear to all your court hearings and follow any other conditions of your bond.