Skip to main content

Will they take me to jail for being unable to pay my fines?

Cleveland, TX |

I'm seventeen. I got caught with a very small amount of weed, spent 13 days in jail, and now I'm on one years probation. But I Have yet to find a job because I'm not 18 yet. And I have barely paid any money on my fines. I have gone to every meeting with my PO and done all my community service and about to do my drug offenders class.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Do absolutely everything required of you, and keep a running account of all money you get in, and all money you spend. You cannot have any "extras". Inability to pay is a defense, but it is hard. (You might try to find a local lawyer who will help you. The judge can give you credit for your jail time toward your fines so that you only have fees, and you may also be able to get the amount of your fees reduced.)

    Cynthia Henley

  2. You don't have to be 18 to get a job. Start applying anywhere and everywhere. Make a payment toward your fines every month--even if you cannot pay the full amount. In some counties, the collections department has the authority to allow you to do community service in lieu of payment. This is something else you might look into. Keep working hard and you will get thru it.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

  3. If your only issue is money then you are unlikely to be revoked. It is likely that your probation might be extended.

    My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,

  4. Judge Chambers might make you do extra community service to pay those fines, if not then he will probably extend probation. Ask your PO if they can do a financial study on you.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics