Will they put me in jail?

Asked over 1 year ago - Myrtle Beach, SC

I missed court for a worthless check case in SC because I was in the hospital. The sherriff came and said they sentanced me to 30 days or $401 restitution + $100 cout cost on thbe warrant. I am meeting the sherriff at the magistrates ofice on Tuesday but I only have the $401 for resttution. Will I be allowed to see a judge and beg for more time fo the $100 or will they send me to jail for 30 days even though I paid the restitution. Thank you!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Dale Martin Savage

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to seek out a lawyer b/c it sounds like you we're tried in your absence but you have a valid reason that might be able to re-open your case and get you a better resolution. W/o knowing more, it's too hard to say until I know more about the case.

  2. William A. Jones Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To hopefully give you some peace of mind until a lawyer licensed in your state responds, I would anticipate that you would receive some additional time to make full payment of all the financial obligations imposed. It would be a good idea for you to bring some documentation to support the fact you were hospitalized at the time of the hearing. Their primary interest is in getting the money paid not in putting you in jail. If you do not receive a response from a lawyer licensed in SC fairly soon, I would definitely reach out by telephone to one or more attorneys in the Myrtle area to discuss. Most attorneys offer free (but limited) consultations. Good luck.

  3. Carmine John Giardino

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you don't already have a lawyer, hire one to help you. The law is complex and there may be things that can be done that you didn't know about. Good luck!

    If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,663 answers this week

3,198 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,663 answers this week

3,198 attorneys answering