Will they put me in jail?

Myrtle Beach, SC |

I missed court for a worthless check case in SC because I was in the hospital. The sherriff came and said they sentanced me to 30 days or $401 restitution + $100 cout cost on thbe warrant. I am meeting the sherriff at the magistrates ofice on Tuesday but I only have the $401 for resttution. Will I be allowed to see a judge and beg for more time fo the $100 or will they send me to jail for 30 days even though I paid the restitution. Thank you!

1. To hopefully give you some peace of mind until a lawyer licensed in your state responds, I would anticipate that you would receive some additional time to make full payment of all the financial obligations imposed. It would be a good idea for you to bring some documentation to support the fact you were hospitalized at the time of the hearing. Their primary interest is in getting the money paid not in putting you in jail. If you do not receive a response from a lawyer licensed in SC fairly soon, I would definitely reach out by telephone to one or more attorneys in the Myrtle area to discuss. Most attorneys offer free (but limited) consultations. Good luck.

2. If you don't already have a lawyer, hire one to help you. The law is complex and there may be things that can be done that you didn't know about. Good luck!

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit http://www.sainjurylawyer.com or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit http://www.giardinolawfirm.com. Good luck!

3. You need to seek out a lawyer b/c it sounds like you we're tried in your absence but you have a valid reason that might be able to re-open your case and get you a better resolution. W/o knowing more, it's too hard to say until I know more about the case.