Skip to main content

Will they change back due support owed to me?

Manchester, MO |

I have full custody of my 2 children and have for 2 years. My ex-wife owes $10,000+ in past due child support. She seems to think that because she has been going to school full time (and living with her parents for that matter) she doesn't have to work. She is convinced a judge will forgive the past due support. A judge cannot seriously allow a mother to not work, right? Thank you!

Attorney Answers 1


Most likely no parent can just not work indefinitely although it dpends on the facts and the case history in each case. As to your ex-wife's agreement to forigve child support arrears, if it's a private case then yes that's possible. I would suggest thaty ou or your lwayer prepare a written stipulation and order, have both parties sign it, have the judge sign it, and file it with the court.

Mark as helpful




By saying "forgive jer support", I mean, she thinks a judge will wipe her debt clean because she wasn't working.

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns


No. If there is a court order in place, then it would be your choice whether to do so. Is this a public assistance case. The fact that your ex does not understand the law in this area is not your problem. I would suggest that you motion the court for a seek work order or have income imputed to her.



No. I am not on any public asistance. I work full time. What would that motion do? She was working and paid child support for about 8 months and then quit. She hasn't paid anything in about a year. Like I said, she claims that all debts will be fogrgiven since she is trying to "better herself and go to school." She refuses to work for only half of her paycheck. I still pay for my kids expenses every month whether she pays me or not! It's just frustrating...

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics