Will these facts affect my naturalization process and chances of getting my citizenship and if so what should i do about it?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I am wanting to apply for.food stamps but do not want to 'rock the boat'. I. Was previously arrested (over four years ago)for cultivation of marijuana (felony) with no charges ever having pressed against me and I have since.gotten my greencard renewed with.no problem (for.another 10 years.) I also had a misdemeanor for petty theft that I got seven years ago in the state of WA that was erased off my record and I never did any jail time for. First off, I wanted to mention these facts and see how these may influence my naturalization process as I am wanting to apply in the near future and.also.see.is there is anything I can do to increase my.chances of being approved. ( I have.lived in the US for 17 years).
Second, I am thinking.if applying for.food stamps.is that ok?
Thank you very much!

1. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . The immigration consequences of convictions depend on the exact language of the statute under which the conviction took place.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, including the court disposition and the charging documents, in order to advise you, and handle the case.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

Answered . Since you have had trouble with the law on more than one occasion, the burden will be on you to show you have turned over a new leaf. Consult with a competent immigration attorney to discuss facts pertaining to the arrests and to put together a good naturalization application on your behalf.

3. Otis Carl Landerholm

Pro

Answered . The food stamps should not be an issue. However, please consult with a lawyer about your criminal record before applying for naturalization. Depending on the conviction record, not only could your application be denied, but DHS could legally try and take away your green card and put you into removal proceedings. Anyone with any criminal history should absolutely proceed with caution and use the help of a trustworthy and knowledgeable lawyer before applying for naturalization!
    Feel free to call my office for help if you want.
    Good luck,

Otis C. Landerholm, Esq.
    www.LanderholmLawOffice.com

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

Answered . You will have to report your arrests and convictions. How they affect your application depends on the totality of the circumstances. The last 5 years are looked at most closely. Legal residents will not have their immigration status impacted by receiving food stamps. Receiving food stamps does not affect your application for citizenship.

5. Michael Hugh Carlin

Answered . You most definitely should consult with an experienced immigration attorney in order to try to obtain the best chance of success. You need to explain everything related to your history of encounters with law enforcement and courts. You should also discuss your desire to apply for food stamps.