Will the Work permit(Dream Act Policy) allow someone to go out of the country and come back?

Asked about 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I qualify for the Dream Act policy(work permit). Will it allow me to leave the country for like a vacation and comeback?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No one knows for sure.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unknown, but unlikely.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Edward D Young III

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The rules of this deferred prosecution policy have yet to be determined. It would be surprising if they allowed travel outside the country. The basis for the action is that the people affected (like you?) came to the U.S. with their parents when they were young and that the U.S. is the only country that they know. One of the requirements is that you have lived in the U.S. continuously for the last 5 years. Deferred action means that the government will not seek to deport you. Since this deferred action policy will not grant you a green card and only a work permit, it would be surprising if they allowed foreign travel.

    This response is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,968 answers this week

3,198 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,968 answers this week

3,198 attorneys answering