Will the Work permit(Dream Act Policy) allow someone to go out of the country and come back?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Immigration

I qualify for the Dream Act policy(work permit). Will it allow me to leave the country for like a vacation and comeback?

1. Unknown, but unlikely.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. No one knows for sure.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. The rules of this deferred prosecution policy have yet to be determined. It would be surprising if they allowed travel outside the country. The basis for the action is that the people affected (like you?) came to the U.S. with their parents when they were young and that the U.S. is the only country that they know. One of the requirements is that you have lived in the U.S. continuously for the last 5 years. Deferred action means that the government will not seek to deport you. Since this deferred action policy will not grant you a green card and only a work permit, it would be surprising if they allowed foreign travel.

This response is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Questions and answers posted to this forum are public and cannot be kept confidential. Although admitted in DC, I currently reside in Texas and I am authorized to practice U.S. immigration law worldwide..