Will the state of Ohio offset my federal tax refund for unemployment overpayment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, OH

I was overpaid in unemployment. Will the State of Ohio take my federal refund to pay back overpayment of unemployment that I received?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eduardo Guillermo Sanchez

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally, IRS refunds are not offset for these types of claims.

  2. John P Fazzio III


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Ohio would first need to assess you for the deficiency/overpayment. If they've done that they may have a claim against your refund, as most state's can offset their assessed deficiencies that have been reduced to state tax judgments against such refunds. However, on balance, it seems unlikely they would do so at the stage you are probably at.

  3. Evan A Nielsen

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Not generally.

    Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,957 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,957 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering