Will the New California Prison Law reduce prisoners time from 85% to 65% or half time?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Richmond, CA

A person is convicted for two counts of robbery for 5 years each plus 3 years on both for inhancements for a total of 16 years in Ca State prison at 85%. He's in level 3 in the prison system. What percentage of time he'll have to do with the new changes? He was convicted in 2011 what year will he be release?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . While my colleague's information is helpful, I can tell you that there is no present, past or pending litigation that would reduce 85% time to 65%. This is a jailhouse rumor that makes the rounds every six months or so. The changes in CA law that took place in October of 2011 apply only to non-violent, non-serious felonies and felonies not involving sex offenses. This person does not qualify.

  2. James Regan


    Contributor Level 20


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The two bests sources of info are the attorney who handled the case OR the California Department of Corrections: Ombudsman: http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Ombuds/index.html

    The Office of the Ombudsman listens, answers your questions, analyzes your situation, explains CDCR polices and procedures, advocates for the fairness of a process as opposed to advocating for an individual party, provides information and at times advice and develops options, suggests appropriate referrals, apprises administration of significant trends and may recommend changes in policies and procedures.

    When contacting the Office of the Ombudsman, please provide the following information:

    Your Name

    Your Phone Number

    Your Relationship to the Offender

    Name of the Offender

    CDCR Number of the Offender

    Location of the Offender

    Brief Description of the issue

    Provide a brief overview of the results of efforts made by you and the Offender to resolve the issue.

    The Ombudsman can be reached by calling (916) 445-1773 or writing to:

    California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
    Office of the Ombudsman
    1515 S Street, Room 311 South
    Sacramento, CA 95811

    Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.
  3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Depending on when in 2011 he was convicted and whether or not he loses credits due to his behavior, you could anticipate release some time 2024 to 2025.
    As to changes in law re credits. Mr. Kaman is correct. none of the recent changes have any impact on this person's custody credits.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,238 answers this week

3,054 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,238 answers this week

3,054 attorneys answering