Will the judge dismiss your divorce case if you and your husband are still having sex with each other on a regular basis?

Atlanta, GA |

We are still living together and sleeping in the same bed.

1. If you can prove it, yes. A requirement of a divorce is that the parties have ceased sexual relations before the filing and not have any after. Make sure to tell your lawyer about your now-void divorce case.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

2. In order for the divorce to be granted, the parties must be in a state of separation. That includes no longer having sex with each other. If a judge finds out that you all are still having sex, the judge will dismiss the action.

3. Some people might think this is an odd or unusual question, but it actually comes up quite a lot. It seems that some people keep having sex even though they are in the middle of a very contested divorce. They fight like crazy in court and mediation and then go home and have sex. I am not a psychologist, so I will not try to analyze why they do this. But, I am a lawyer, so let’s take a look at this situation from a legal perspective.

Georgia has a number of requirements that people must meet before the court can grant a divorce. These requirements range from jurisdictional, such as requiring the plaintiff to live in the state for at least 6 months prior to filing, to having a ground for which a divorce is permissible, such as adultery or irreconcilable differences. One such requirement is that the parties be “legally separated”. “legally separated” under Georgia law means that the parties are not living together as husband and wife. Obviously, in the current economy it is not always feasible for the parties to immediately maintain separate homes, so they end up living under the same roof while the divorce process is underway. This arraignment is permissible as you can live under the same roof but not be “living as husband and wife”.

However, if the parties have sexual intercourse, then the requirement of being legally separated is no longer met and the case will be dismissed. Once the case has been dismissed, it must be filed over again and the plaintiff must swear that the parties are now living in a state of separation.