Will the IRS take my tax refund if I owe retroactive child support in a Title IV-D case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tucson, AZ

I still owe the IRS for my 2009 taxes and was going to use my tax refund this year to pay off the debt. However, I expect that the State of Arizona will ask for the three years of back support according to A.R.S. 25-809(b) in the Title IV-D hearing this month. Will I still be able to pay off the IRS debt or will the State intercept my refund?

1. Evan A Nielsen

2

1

Answered . The IRS will have priority regarding any refunds before child support so your refund will go first to pay back taxes owed, then any remaining amounts go to child support. If anything's left after that, it will get to you.

2. Frederick E. Walker

Answered . The authority of the IRS to intercept tax refunds was established pursuant to Title IV-D of the Social Security Act and the Internal Revenue Code. The program is known as TRIP, or the tax refund intercept program.

The TRIP program is not absolute and it provides safeguards for the taxpayer. A delinquent parent does have rights. A delinquent parent is one who owes at least $500.00 in past due child support. This parent must first be certified by the office that administers the TRIP Program in your state to the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement. If the intention exists to intercept the taxpayer's refund, he or she must be given 30 days advance notice in which to challenge the action.

You may feel that the amount of child support arrears that is owed may be inaccurate, or you believe that there are no arrears or delinquencies. Don't delay in bringing this to the attention of the court. Get a hearing scheduled and get the matter clarified before year end. It will save you a lot of time and energy by taking a proactive approach with this issue, rather than a reactive one.