Will the immigration reform act give right to work for overstayed student visas?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

For someone who came legally , studied in the USA and completed his / her degree in the USA but is a non - resident alien with a F - 1 Visa ( student visa ) there currently only is a year period given to get some work experience in the USA ( OPT ) after which the person can't legally work in the USA anymore . That person paid its taxes , knows English and is well educated . After that , that person has to find an employer that would be ready to sponsor the H - B visa ( 5 year temporary visa ) and pay a few thousands of dollars for that . Will the Immigration reform act lift that one year of right to work for those who overstayed their student visa ( because they want to work in the USA as they studied in the USA ) ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I am sorry, but so far, there are only drafts. The "reform" might help you, it might not..

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  2. Brandon S. Gillin


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . At this point, its impossible to say what immigration reform will bring. The emphasis, however, seems to be on family unity. Keeping highly educated individuals like yourself in the U.S. is also going to be a top priority. But again, it's impossible to say right now since no bill has been passed.

    Senator Schumer of New York is one of the key players in drafting what will hopefully become comprehensive immigration reform. I suggest you follow his web site. http://www.schumer.senate.gov/Issues/immigratio...

  3. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The process is still in its infancy. No one knows what is going to the the final outcome.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more
  4. Heather Louise Garvock


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A proposed law needs to pass both houses of Congress and be signed into law by the President before it becomes a law. Until that time, it is impossible to advise you whether there is help available for the person you describe.

    Heather L. Garvock Attorney Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,996 answers this week

3,206 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,996 answers this week

3,206 attorneys answering