Will the fact that my family doesn't know about my marriage to my immigrant spouse hurt his chances of getting a green card?

I'm estranged from my mother and not close with my family, so no one knows I'm even married, will this fact make it impossible for us to file and get him a green card? I heard they interview family so that's why I asked. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

1. That is a bit unusual as the most logical and routinely used form of corroboration of a bona fide marriage does come from family members and friends. Therefore, although one may completely understand a possibly existing family situation, the absence of necessary corroboration from acquaintances, friends and family members may definitely raise a red flag during determining the validity or existence of that secretive marriage no one knows about. I would strongly recommend a good attorney to represent your vital legal interests.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

2. No, it does not make it impossible but it does make it less easier than when your mother could make a statement in favor of the your petition. You may be able to find the necessary support from other people though.

My answers are for general information only, NOT A legal advice because these are not tailored to your specific situation. Contact an Immigration Attorney if you need legal advice.

3. When you say "no one" knows of the marriage, fraud will be strongly suspected if by "no one" you include institutions such as employer, bank, landlord or mortgage company, etc. let alone neighbors, friends, and acquaintances.

The marriage should be "publicly declared" and there should be co-mingling of assets such as in a regular marriage. Please consult with an immigration attorney for case specific advice. Contact info is in Avvo or at www.ailalawyer.com

4. It is always required under modern standards to provide sufficient proof the marriage is bona fides. Thus, it could be assumed by an USCIS agent that the fact family members are no aware is some proof of attempted fraud. many families are estranged ... thus you will need to increase the evidence of otehrs (friends, clergy, co-workers etc... knowing its legit). good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

5. Yes, this could raise a concern that the marriage is a fraud.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.

6. It will increase the possibility of a marriage fraud determination. But it's not impossible. Contact an immigration attorney.

Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.

Marriage and prenups topics