Will the fact that my family doesn't know about my marriage to my immigrant spouse hurt his chances of getting a green card?

Asked 4 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I'm estranged from my mother and not close with my family, so no one knows I'm even married, will this fact make it impossible for us to file and get him a green card? I heard they interview family so that's why I asked. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

1. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

3

1

Answered . Yes, this could raise a concern that the marriage is a fraud.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

4

1

Answered . That is a bit unusual as the most logical and routinely used form of corroboration of a bona fide marriage does come from family members and friends. Therefore, although one may completely understand a possibly existing family situation, the absence of necessary corroboration from acquaintances, friends and family members may definitely raise a red flag during determining the validity or existence of that secretive marriage no one knows about. I would strongly recommend a good attorney to represent your vital legal interests.

3. Lalita Haran

4

1

Answered . No, it does not make it impossible but it does make it less easier than when your mother could make a statement in favor of the your petition. You may be able to find the necessary support from other people though.

4. Ajay Kumar Arora

4

1

Answered . When you say "no one" knows of the marriage, fraud will be strongly suspected if by "no one" you include institutions such as employer, bank, landlord or mortgage company, etc. let alone neighbors, friends, and acquaintances.

The marriage should be "publicly declared" and there should be co-mingling of assets such as in a regular marriage. Please consult with an immigration attorney for case specific advice. Contact info is in Avvo or at www.ailalawyer.com

5. C. C. Abbott

4

1

Answered . It is always required under modern standards to provide sufficient proof the marriage is bona fides. Thus, it could be assumed by an USCIS agent that the fact family members are no aware is some proof of attempted fraud. many families are estranged ... thus you will need to increase the evidence of otehrs (friends, clergy, co-workers etc... knowing its legit). good luck.

6. Theodore Su-Tsoh Huang

2

Answered . It will increase the possibility of a marriage fraud determination. But it's not impossible. Contact an immigration attorney.