Will the district attorney reduce my 4th time felony DUI charge in exchange for critical information on a drug dealer.

Asked 6 months ago - Sacramento, CA

I have a 4th dui case going on in California. Ive hired a lawyer and the case is almost over. They are going to give me a felony, 6 months of jail time (3 months after halftime) and 5 years of felony probation. There is a drug dealer that I've known since middle school who i recently ran into at a night out at the casino/ He sells prescription Norco pills (hydrocodone). He sells large amounts at a time and has offered me to buy 500 to 1000 pills at a time if I know anybody that wants to buy them so I can help his drug business out. If my lawyer was to set up a meeting with the district attorney who is handling my case and asks them to reduce my felony dui to a misdemeanor dui and no jail time and just informal probation in exchange for my information on drug dealer.

1. Denis Hurley White Jr

11

Answered . That's a question best discussed between you and your attorney.

2. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

10

Answered . Speak to your attorney . A 4 th DUI matter is serious . They are not going to let you buy your way out of the sentence- although it could possibly be modified.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  3. Darryl Elliot Young

9

Answered . Talk to your attorney. It's possible. It depends on the quality of information and your level of involvement along with how valuable the target is perceived to be. But being an informant is literally bad for your health and can create more problems that it solves. Be careful.

4. Greg Thomas Hill

7

Answered . I highly doubt the DA will reduce a fourth time DUI as you propose, but speak to your attorney and allow him or her to float the idea to the DA.

5. Victoria L Clemans

Pro

7

Answered . I would be careful about posting this stuff. If the dealer is reading it who knows what he'll do. Why don't you discuss it with your attorney. It doesn't sound like there is a case pending against the dealer for the vicodin so I don't know how that will help you to roll over on him. If the Pros wants to file a case with you as the informant, that might change things but they will probably use their own informant if they get wind that he is dealing large amounts of pills. Talk to your lawyer. I doubt this ruse will work.

6. James Murray Warden

Pro

5

Answered . You should NOT post a question like this on a public forum. You MUST talk to your lawyer about this situation. By exposing this information, you may be exposing yourself to a variety of problems: retaliation, harassment, threats, etc. Go talk to your current lawyer!

7. James Anthony Dal Bon

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with the attorneys who posted. Talk to your attorney. However here is a little general information you might want to think about based upon my experience. (I would be really interested in hearing other attorney's on their experiences also)

Snitching or brokering a settlement based testifying against a felon is not like you see on cop shows. First you are not the only one who has been caught by the police with information regarding other crimes. It is the nature of beast. For example, everyone who was ever arrested in possession of illegal drugs, bought those drugs from someone they can identify, and the drug dealer bought them from another drug dealer ect., If you connect the dots you realize that produces a lot of potential snitches or confidential informants, who may be willing to knock years off their sentence by turning in a drug dealer.

Secondly, it never ceases to amaze me how many harden criminals are willing to testify or at least give information against one another. Sometimes they just want to knockout the competition by manipulating the police and yes even their defense attorneys. Sometimes they just want to remain free, knock time off their sentence or if imprisoned obtain special privileges. Maybe about as many as half or more of hardened criminals give information to the police at some point in their careers.

No offense, but you do not sound like a hardened criminal. You sound like a basically nice guy caught up in a bad situation. Which leads me to believe that the information you have to provide may not be as useful as you believe.

if you attempt to negotiate a deal it is unlikely the deputy district attorney handling your case will make the call to reduce your sentence. Instead a senior deputy in the narcotics unit will probably review it and decide whether it is even worth sending an investigator to speak with you.

At that point your attorney will step in and negotiate a written contract concerning the limits placed on the police interview. You want make sure you have some sort of limited immunity covering your conversation with any investigator. If you do not and you confess to a crime in your interview with the police, let's say you tell them you bought and sold drugs from you middle school friend, then the district attorney may file new charges against you based on your confession to being involved with a conspiracy to sell drugs.

Now as far as you personal safety. The drug dealer and his or her friends will not be happy with you. However retaliation happens less frequently than the cop shows would make you believe. The drug dealer could potentially serve very little jail time be released and put on felony probation for a first offense. Why would he want to risk a death sentence by killing you over this? For that matter why would a deputy district attorney want to reduce a 6 month prison sentence to catch a criminal whose sentence maybe a few days in jail.

That being said informants are sometimes murdered. You have to weigh the risks. This is a dangerous sport, like hang gliding. People die. In the rarest cases, even their families die.

I am not trying to depress you. Please talk to your attorney. Do not be surprised if the deputy district attorney does not jump at the chance to arrest a drug dealer with your information. They have heard this one before.

8. Thomas Joseph Baker

3

Answered . You have a lawyer, talk to him.

You just posted information about ratting out a drug dealer with very specific details about a very recent encounter.

Slow down and start thinking about your actions!

9. Michael James Kennedy

Pro

3

Answered . It is not unheard of for DAs to offer deals in exchange for the defendant become a stool pigeon, but you need to ask yourself if that is really what you want to do. I suspect your DUI was fightable [because almost all are], so hopefully you put more energy and karma into protecting yourself by getting a real DUI attorney than you can in helping the government go after someone else. Stoolies are more revolting than drunks any day of the week.

10. Stephen Troy Allen

Pro

2

Answered . You could try it.. but no one likes a snitch - So if it does work, you better not pick up a 5th DUI or something that would land you back in custody. You probably do not want to talk about this type of thing on this forum. Since you already have an attorney, you would be wise to discuss this with only them. Good luck and hopefully you can avoid jail.

11. Paul Anthony Suppa

2

Answered . "Snitches get ditches" as the saying goes.... truly, if this is your intent do not post it - talk to your attorney confidentially...