Will the D.A. lower my DWI charges to something non-criminal.

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am being charged with an Underage DUI along with a refusal to blow following an accident I had in Manhattan. I understand that it is a policy of the DA to not plea bargain refusal cases to something non-criminal. I know it is not an excuse, but I am young (20 years old), currently in pharmacy school with good grades, and can prove outstanding moral character through my community service and church programs. Would the DA possibly take these factors into consideration and deter from that standard policy to offer me a non-criminal plea?

1. Zachary Peter Reibstein

Pro

21

Answered . Although the DA's office may generally not bargain down a refusal case to a non-criminal offense like DWAI, one should never say never. The DA's main considerations would most likely be how bad the accident was, whether or not you were at fault for it, and how intoxicated you appeared to the police and on the video (if one was taken.) The factors you mention about yourself would certainly be considered as well. While no specific result can ever be guaranteed, it's definitely worth a shot to hire a lawyer and see what they can do.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

20

Answered . What County are you in? I've had success getting around no plea policies. It's not easy. .... you need a lawyer who will fight hard you.

3. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

18

Answered . You were drunk, underage, and caused an accident. Unless you beat the charges (and I mean dismissal) you can likely kiss your dream of becoming a pharmacist goodbye. Have your parents retain for you the best lawyer money can buy. Best of luck.

4. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

18

Answered . Consult with an experienced DWI lawyer to represent you.

5. Frank Mascagni III

18

Answered . You need to hire a criminal defense lawyer ASAP to review the file and the facts with you.

6. Abdul-Wali Abdullah Muhammad

7

Answered . The refusal hearing is with the DMV. That's not the DA. You need a lawyer for this one. It's a battle on 2 fronts - the in court with the DA and at the DMV refusal hearing.