Will the Colorado DMV arrest me if I apply for a state ID with an outstanding warrant for DUI?

Dillon, CO |

I know I need to take care of the charge, I intend to do so, I just need a job to pay an attorney, and an ID to get a job, crazy

No. Only contact with a police offer will cause you to be arrested. The DMV will not know if the warrant is an arrest warrant so it is highly unlikely that they will contact the police to have you arrested.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.

Mr. Orr is correct. Only police officers arrest people for warrants, not DMV.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

As the other attorneys have said, you should be okay in this scenario. However, you many want to have a backup plan ready just in case things don't go as planned. Speak with an experienced DUI attorney ahead of time and have their contact info with you when you go to the DMV. If you happen to be arrested (either there or any other time before or after), then you'll have a plan ready for representation and taking care of the warrant ASAP. Use this website to find some attorneys in your area and take the time to call them too.

I agree with the other responses, but there are three things I wanted to add. First, if you have an outstanding judgement or conditions from a DUI probationary sentence then you will not be able to apply for a DL without clearing those up first. Second, if you are able to retain a DL I would have bail money on me at all time while driving just in case I was pulled over for a broken tail light or any other small infraction. Third, when you do decide to take care of the warrant, contact a DUI attorney beforehand, and they can arrange for you to turn yourself into the Court instead of the police which will probably save you from ever going into custody again. Good luck.

DUI topics