Will the BBS reject my CA application to become an MFT with two different misdemeanor convictions (now dismissed) in my record?

Asked about 1 year ago - Glendale, CA

In 2008, I pleaded no contest to two separate cases. The first was a misdemeanor domestic violence conviction and the second was a DUI with BAC of .10. I am just about to finish my Master's degree and will be over $60k in debt and I'm starting to get nervous about the possibility of never being able to pursue the profession. Both convictions were dismissed early because I quickly completed all the terms of my probation. Will the state refuse my application for a license, especially with the nature of my convictions?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . Like all California licensing agencies, the Board of Behavioral Science has the right to deny a professional license to an applicant with any criminal convictions (including convictions that have been dismissed), but the Board is not required to deny the application. By statute, the Board must make an independent analysis of the individual applicant's license worthiness. The analysis must be based on the underlying facts and circumstances of the criminal offenses and on the statutory factors of mitigation and the statutory factors of rehabilitation. Because a number of the statutory factors require long-range implementation and cannot be initiated just in time for application for license, your best course is to arrange now for a consultation with an attorney who practices in the field of professional and occupational license law. That consultation can provide you with a plan to maximize your prospects for licensure, a highly cost-effctive measure if you do it well in advance of your application.

There is no denying that any domestic violence conviction can be a particular difficulty for CA licensing agencies. But a strong demonstration of the statutory factors can cause approval of a State license application notwithstanding almost any criminal record. See any attorney for specific assistance in making your application one that can be expected to succeed notwithstanding previous offenses.

2. Kelvin P. Green

Answered . Looking at the licensure rules you may have difficulty. I would suggest you contact Christine McCall here on Avvo for assistance