Will the BBS reject my CA application to become an MFT with two different misdemeanor convictions (now dismissed) in my record?

Glendale, CA |

In 2008, I pleaded no contest to two separate cases. The first was a misdemeanor domestic violence conviction and the second was a DUI with BAC of .10. I am just about to finish my Master's degree and will be over $60k in debt and I'm starting to get nervous about the possibility of never being able to pursue the profession. Both convictions were dismissed early because I quickly completed all the terms of my probation. Will the state refuse my application for a license, especially with the nature of my convictions?

1. Like all California licensing agencies, the Board of Behavioral Science has the right to deny a professional license to an applicant with any criminal convictions (including convictions that have been dismissed), but the Board is not required to deny the application. By statute, the Board must make an independent analysis of the individual applicant's license worthiness. The analysis must be based on the underlying facts and circumstances of the criminal offenses and on the statutory factors of mitigation and the statutory factors of rehabilitation. Because a number of the statutory factors require long-range implementation and cannot be initiated just in time for application for license, your best course is to arrange now for a consultation with an attorney who practices in the field of professional and occupational license law. That consultation can provide you with a plan to maximize your prospects for licensure, a highly cost-effctive measure if you do it well in advance of your application.

There is no denying that any domestic violence conviction can be a particular difficulty for CA licensing agencies. But a strong demonstration of the statutory factors can cause approval of a State license application notwithstanding almost any criminal record. See any attorney for specific assistance in making your application one that can be expected to succeed notwithstanding previous offenses.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

2. Looking at the licensure rules you may have difficulty. I would suggest you contact Christine McCall here on Avvo for assistance

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

DUI topics