Will the age gap between a couple and the condition of the marriage affect one's eligibility to get a visa?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Altos, CA

I am a U.S. citizen and my marriage has been arranged with an adult in India who is 11 years younger than me will our age difference and the condition (arranged marriage) of the marriage affect my fiancé’s eligibility to get a visa? Also will the duration of my stay in India influence my fiancé’s visa eligibility?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

26

Answered . Yes, but the ultimate question is whether your marriage is bona fide.

2. Andre R. Olivie

10

Answered . The age difference will be taken into consideration but will not necessariliy mean that it won't be granted. You'll just have to explain the situation and prove that the relationship is genuine. The service understands arranged marriages. I suggest you work with an attorney that can help you prove your case. I recently had a successfull case where the U.S.C. Spouse was more than 20 years older than his wife and it was granted. We had to provide alot of evidence however because we knew it would likely be an issue.

Andre Olivie, Esq.
    www.olivielaw.com
    206-724-1940

3. Peter Hills Acker

8

Answered . Age discrepancy is a factor in determining the bonafides of a marriage. It can be a very important factor and a large age discrepancy can raise a red flag. However, it is not the sole factor. As my colleague explains, ultimately the bonafides and legitimacy of the marriage will determine the success of the eligibility for the visa.

I highly suggest that you speak with an immigration attorney about your specific case. As Mr. Shusterman is a California attorney, and the question appears to come from California, you may want to give him a call.