Will talking to the solicitor help me with a speeding ticket in Tyrone, GA?

Tyrone, GA |

I was given a speeding ticket for going 78 in a 55 one night in Tyrone, GA. I don't dispute that I was speeding. However, I do not normally speed. I've only had one speeding ticket in the 10 years that I've been driving and it was about 6 years ago. This time, I had worked a 14 hour day and just wanted to get home--I was 5 minutes from my house. Not an excuse, just an explanation. The fine is set at $182, and I believe it will result in 3 points on my license.

Would talking to the solicitor be beneficial? Tyrone offers the opportunity to speak to the solicitor on the court date. Their website also says I can request to speak with the solicitor before the court date, but I'm not sure how likely that request is to be honored.

I work for a nonprofit--even $182 is a lot of money.

Your best bet is to speak to the solicitor, and get him to reduce your speed to 69 mph in a 55 mph hour zone so the charge will not appear on your driving history (assuming you're not a CDL), and jack your insurance rates.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

2. YOu need to also worry about the $200 super speeder fee. If this was a two lane road, your speed of 78 mph will cause you to have to pay that fee unless you get the speed reduced below 75 mph. You need to get the solicitor to reduce this speed.

3. You can certainly try to speak to the Solicitor, but keep in mind, THIS IS THE PERSON PROSECUTING YOU. There is a chance they will work with you on the speed which could result in less of a fine. While you may not be able to speak with the solicitor before court, you will have the opportunity to talk to them in court. But be mindful about who the person is. Good luck!

4. I agree with the above answers but usually it is best to show up on your court date to negotiate. Since you have a clean record the prosecutor will probably reduce to a no points ticket.

This answer is for general advice. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. For legal advice you have to retain your own attorney.