Will suicide negate my insurance and military (VA) benefits? If I admit this to law enforcement, will it make me a criminal?

Asked over 1 year ago - El Paso, TX

I am a 38 year old middle school teacher military veteran . I have a $ 40 , 000 college and graduate school debt , owe $ 1 , 000 a month in child support for my 6 year old child , and live check to check . My wages are garnished in order to meet my SAPPER obligations , but my monthly bills and loans are quite daunting . I feel ineffective and incompetent in my current profession as well . However , I can't quit my profession because I will be in contempt of court and subject to jail penalties . I have never been arrested , detained , or charged with any crime , so jail and shame stress me . If I take my own life will my child get my insurance and VA military benefits ? What happens to my debts and funeral expenses .

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

6

Answered . Shipmate, if you want to ensure your child the best chance in his/her future, you will immediately seek counseling, suicide would permanently handicap them. Your state has a hotline with individuals in your situation, they can plug you in to people who can help you 1-915-779-1800..

2. Judy A. Goldstein

5

1

Answered . Please stay offline and get some help immediately. You need the services of a mental health professional and not lawyers telling you what will happen. I personally thank you for your sertice and would like to hear about your future successes. Please do not do anything so terrible. Your child needs you.

3. Andrew David Cherkasky

4

Answered . I'm really sorry that you are going through this right now. I understand how daunting and endless it seems. I appreciate that you are concerned about the effects suicide will have on your child. Without more information, it's difficult to give advice. I am scared for your child's financial security if you take your life, not to mention how terribly devastating it would be emotionally, even if you don't think so.

Do this... stop worrying tonight, go to sleep. In the morning call me and we can talk more about your question. I'll take the time to listen to what has happened and give you a better idea of what could happen financially. Don't worry about it costing anything, I'm happy to help a fellow vet in need. Just please give me a call, it will be totally confidential. 703-314-6475

Andy

4. Harris Justin Brumer

Pro

4

Answered . I understand that you're feeling very overwhelmed right now, but please do not do anything you may regret later. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem! Please reach out to a therapist, religious leader, or to a hotline. Please call 1-800-273-TALK and/or 1-800-784-2433.

The qualities that got you through the military are the same ones that will get you through the crisis you're currently facing: perseverance, overcoming adversity, and dedication. Your situation is NOT hopeless. You may wish to talk to a financial counselor and/or a bankruptcy attorney to see if there is some debt that can be discharged (note that Federal student loans and child support are not dischargeable in BK).

It's obvious you have given this a lot of thought, so I don't take this lightly. But please, please think through this decision carefully. Nothing is worth taking your life. I urge you to get help immediately.

5. Sherilyn Ann Epperson Bunn

2

Answered . There are numerous options, all of which are better than suicide. Please call for help. I am located in El Paso, TX, and I do free consultations (915-532-7500).

6. John Magnus Scorsine

Pro

2

1

Answered . Soldier/Airman/Sailor/Marine -- whatever your branch, I can assure you that there are any number of veterans and reservists on this list, all of which are ready to be your "battle-buddy" through these difficult times. Several of my colleagues, who live in the El Paso area, have already weighed in and I would encourage you to contact them.

In the meantime, there are resources for you to deal with the emotional issues you are experiencing. DoD takes the care of our current and former service members seriously and is committed to suicide prevention. Veteran's Crisis Line --1-800-273-8255 and then dial 1
    CALL THEM NOW!!!

You will get the reassurance, support, understanding and help that you and your family needs to make it through these hard times.

7. Deanne L. Bonner Simpson

2

Answered . Sir, please call the VA suicide prevention hotline right away. There is help for you. 1-800-273-TALK (8255). There is also help for you with your credit problems. Bankruptcy is a much better answer for you.

Please talk to someone right away, whether at the VA hotline, or any of the other phone numbers provided by the other lawyers who answered your question here.

Disclaimer: Transmission or receipt of information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.
  8. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . There are legal solutions to your financial issues! Sometimes these legal solutions can be very easy to implement, but unless you consult with an attorney, you will never have the opportunity to review these options. It would be terrible if you died because you were too proud to ask questions about how to solve your financial problems! Hope this perspective helps!