Will Shoplifting show up on a fingerprinting background check?

Flushing, NY |

The daycare center im working at required us to get fingerprinted in order to give its workers a background check. I was previously caught shoplifting at H&M for about $50 of merchandise. I was only 16. However no police were called, i was just asked a series of questions (ex. age, height, address, name, etc.) and then they made me write an essay explaining why i stole and sent me a fine in the mail around 4 weeks later. My parents had to pick me up from the store. The fine was about $200, i paid it, and they sent me a letter saying i paid it. So im just really paranoid whether or not this incident will show up on my background check when i get fingerprinted. I was really stupid, and I have never done it again.

If you were never fingerprinted they have nothing to match you with.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten

Platten Law Office

So what would show up on my fingerprinting report? This the same person asking the question.

No police = no record.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

So what would show up on my fingerprinting report?

This is the same person asking the question.

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Nothing from this incident.

Arrests, fingerprints and criminal charges show up in criminal record. If none of those things happened then you shouldn't have a record. It sounds like you entered into an agreement to pay a civil penalty to the store for the merchandise. There is a distinction between civil penalties versus criminal penalties.. You should really get in contact with a criminal defense attorney in you area to discuss you matter in further detail though.

Waynice Green Colby & Associates, LLC 73 Church Street New Brunswick, NJ 08901 www.colbyandassociates.com 732-609-3915 This does not constitute legal advice and is given for informational purposes only. Before providing legal advice I would need to evaluate your situation more fully and research any additionally applicable law. If you would like to discuss your situation, please give my office a call to set up a free initial consultation.

No shoplifting since no arrest. It was purely a civil matter and not criminal.good luck with yiur future employment.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.