Will Shoplifting show up on a fingerprinting background check?

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

The daycare center im working at required us to get fingerprinted in order to give its workers a background check. I was previously caught shoplifting at H&M for about $50 of merchandise. I was only 16. However no police were called, i was just asked a series of questions (ex. age, height, address, name, etc.) and then they made me write an essay explaining why i stole and sent me a fine in the mail around 4 weeks later. My parents had to pick me up from the store. The fine was about $200, i paid it, and they sent me a letter saying i paid it. So im just really paranoid whether or not this incident will show up on my background check when i get fingerprinted. I was really stupid, and I have never done it again.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

1

Answered . No police = no record.

2. Waynice A. Green

3

1

Answered . Arrests, fingerprints and criminal charges show up in criminal record. If none of those things happened then you shouldn't have a record. It sounds like you entered into an agreement to pay a civil penalty to the store for the merchandise. There is a distinction between civil penalties versus criminal penalties.. You should really get in contact with a criminal defense attorney in you area to discuss you matter in further detail though.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

1

Answered . No shoplifting since no arrest. It was purely a civil matter and not criminal.good luck with yiur future employment.

4. Erick Masten Platten

Pro

3

1

Answered . If you were never fingerprinted they have nothing to match you with.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten

Platten Law Office