Will shoplifting show up on a background check?

Bellingham, WA |

I was caught shoplifting in Bellingham for only $15. I was banned from the store for a year and was issued a $250 fine from PPC restitution in spokane, which I paid. WIll this go on a background check or criminal record, and if so, how long will it be there?

I believe PPC Restitution in Spokane sends out civil demand letters, so what you paid was a civil fine, not a criminal one. So long as you were not arrested, charged with or convicted of an actual crime, this incident should not appear on a background check.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

I agree with the above answer. Also if you have internet access and $10 your can run your own report on WSP WATCH located here.

Unless you were charged with a crime, and it sounds like you were civilly assessed restitution, this offense will no appear on a criminal background check.