Will sealing my criminal record affect my immigration status? I am a resident trying to become Citizen.

Denver, CO |

I have a Felony menacing case in my record.(f5) in 2005. I cannot find a job because of this. I want to seal the record but I'm afraid that if I do it will affect my chances at becoming a citizen.

my card experied in 1998 but I renewed it in 2008.

1. sealing your record does not make a difference. immigration will have the record whether you seal it or not. records of crimes can never be sealed from the u.s. government/immigration.

Please be advised this answer is for informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been formed. You should also see a local attorney for legal advise before acting on any of the statements given to you online as there may be aspects of your case that are not obvious by the question asked online.

2. It will make absolutely no difference to your immigration status or to your obligation to disclose it on immigration forms.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. Sealing your conviction will help with your job search. Therefore it might be a very good idea. However, it will remain as a conviction for immigration purposes and you will always be required to disclose it on immigration related documents. Therefore, you should always keep two certified copies of the relevant documents. Because a felony conviction is a serious matter, it could affect your ability to become a U.S. citizen. Furthermore, if it is considered an aggravated felony or domestic abuse, it might also serve as a reason to revoke your green card. Experienced immigration counsel is a must in this type of case.

This is a general discussion and should not be relied upon for legal advice. Furthermore, no attorney-client relationship is established or contemplated as a result of responding to this question.