Will remarrying my wife save me from deportation?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tewksbury, MA

I'm an immigrant who entered the country without inspection. 5 years ago, I met my ex, fell inlove and got married. My now ex-wife, while we were married, filed a petition that would allow me to adjust so that I can have status. Unfortunately, the alien petition was approved, then it was discovered that I did not have an I-94 card and as such the adjustment petition was denied. Soon thereafter, my wife and I were having problems and we got divorced. I'm now in deportation and we are working on our relationship. She is wondering if she can save me from deportation if we got married again? Please note that our previous marriage was never considered shame.

1. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . In removal proceedings, you may present any application for relief to which you may be eligible. If you have been in the US for more than 10 years, but entered without inspection,you may be eligible to seek cancellation of removal if you have a parent, spouse or child who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.

2. Anu Gupta

Pro

3

1

Answered . If you get married, and can prove the marriage is genuine, you may be able to apply for a waiver.

3. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . If you were not eligible to adjust before, you are also ineligible now. However you may have the requisite relative to be eligible for cancellation of removal if you have a USC spouse.