Will related-Personal Representative is out of state. Needs a in state resident agent. What is the state agent's responsibility

Asked about 1 year ago - Wilson, NC

Making out wills, not aware that in sate resident agent was required. No family or personal friends in NC.

1. Vance Tate Davis

3

Answered . You can appoint a non-resident to serve as your personal representative. The only complication will be that the personal representative must appoint a resident process agent who will notify the non-resident of any notices, claims, etc. that might be received during probate. The easiest solution would be for the non-resident personal representative to retain a local probate attorney to handle those duties.

2. Paul Lawrence Zucchino

2

Answered . I agree with both of my colleagues. Since you don't know anyone who lives in North Carolina, you should contact a probate attorney in Wilson County to represent you as a resident process agent.

3. Celia R Reed

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Hire local counsel to represent you in the probate and act as agent.