Will real estate attorney be responsible for any issues in a coop closing?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I'm currently purchasing a co-op in manhattan. So I'm now looking for an attorney to close the transaction. Just wondering will the attorney be responsible if there is any issues after the closing?

1. 2

Answered . Dear New York Purchaser:

Make sure you have your attorney on board to negotiate your contract. A contract negotiated with your needs in mind, will go toward experiencing a smooth closing.

But long before you are ready to close, your attorney will need to deal with any issues developed by the judgment and lien search, will need to review the financials and minutes of the cooperative (usually at the office of the managing agent) and report back to you about the status of the cooperative's finances, and the workings of the Board, review your Board package with you, because unless the Board agrees to the transfer, you will not have a closing.

So hire your attorney at the very start of the process.

2. 1

Answered . Consult with a coop and condo lawyer. The lawyer will review the contract, title report, etc. and represent you.

3. 1

Answered . Depends on the issue. All issues are supposed to be resolved pre-closing. That is the purpose of the contract, title report, and inspection of the co-op.

Consult with a real estate attorney regarding your specific issue. Best of luck.