Skip to main content

Will owing money to the IRS affect my wife from becoming a US citizen?

Katy, TX |

We filed bankruptcy a year and a half ago. We wound up owing the IRS money this year and will not be able to repay it right away. My wife is eligible to apply for citizenship. Will she have any problems in doing so?

Attorney Answers 4


If you wound up owing money due to 1099s from debt discharged in your bankruptcy, you need to amend your taxes. IRS debt would not in and of itself affect the citizenship application.

Mark as helpful


This is more appropriately asked in the immigration section, but I don't believe it should be a problem, except that there is talk of revoking passports of those with tax liabilities.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Mark as helpful


You will have a better case to make if you have made arrangements with the IRS for making payments than if you are merely delinquent.

This advice was intended to be general in nature and not to be taken as a legal opinion or legal advice and was not deemed to create an attorney-client relationship

Mark as helpful


It is possible that your wife will face some difficulties with her citizenship application due to the bankruptcy and back debt to the IRS. Your first step should be to contact an immigration lawyer. Secondly, you should contact IRS and set up a payment plan for the money owed. This will help your application tremendously. In your case, I recommend you contact an Immigration Attorney to help you and your wife decide when to file and what steps to take when you do. Good luck.

Mahsa Motlagh, Esq.
Principal at Motlagh Law Office
1415 W. 22nd Street, Tower Floor
Oak Brook, IL 60523

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics