Will my witness get into trouble?

Virginia Beach, VA |

I plan to bring two witnesses to my DUI case to prove that how many drinks I had on that one night. One of my witnesses want to know if she will get into trouble?

1. The only way I can imagine she would get in trouble would be if she perjured herself or testified to some fact that would incriminate herself.

The bigger concern I see from your question is that you are attempting to defend yourself on a DUI charge. I strongly suggest that you contact me or some other capable criminal defense attorney to represent you in this matter.

The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. Wolcott Rivers Gates disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by Wolcott Rivers Gates and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.

2. Not unless the witness is planning on lying in court and perjuring herself.

3. Your witness could possibly be charged with aiding and abetting a DUI. I've seen vindictive prosecutors do that.

I'm not sure I see the wisdom in having a witness testify you drank alcohol in a DUI case. You have to be careful. Some jurors hold the belief that its illegal to drink anything and drive although that is not the law yet they may hold you to it.

If your defense is that the BAC result is inaccurate you need expert witnesses to attack the accuracy of the test. If you do not have an experienced DUI attorney, get one.

This answer is my personal opinion, offered for informational purposes only. It is not a legal opinion, nor is it legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship with anyone reading it.

4. Not sure why she will get in trouble?

Brook M. Thibault Law Offices of John D. hooker, Jr. & Associates 1206 Laskin Rd. Suite 110 Virginia Beach, VA 23451 TEL (757) 425-9977 FAX (757) 491-1978 Please note: Use of this website/ Q&A portal does not create an attorney-client relationship between users and any other party. Neither transmission nor receipt of information from this website/portal creates an attorney-client relationship between users of this site and any other party. No attorney-client relationship exists between the users of this website/portal and any other party. No communication or information contained herein is is to be legal advice.

DUI topics