Will my wife finances be affected by my financial troubles?

Asked 12 months ago - New York, NY

My business was not able to cover its taxes 5 years ago. I am not a us citizen, and I could not renew my work permit, and hence the company could not provide services. I received tax bills in the corporation's name with penalties in the tens of thousands. i was refused a us work permit renewal at the us embassy when travelling to my home country a few years ago. I also have an unpaid us private student loan and a few defaulted us credit cards. One of which was settled for a reduced sum in my absence. I repaid my $50,000 govt loan in full. My girlfriend currently lives with me in my home country, and we are thinking of getting married here, and maybe returning to the us in 5 to 10 years.

1. If we get married how can her finances be affected.
2. How can these effects be avoided or reduced.

The company i formed is a c-corp

1. John P Corrigan

3

Answered . IRS cannot take your wife's income or assets for your debts unless she puts the funds/assets into a joint account with you in which case her assets are avaialble to pay your debts. Also filing tax returns on a married-joint basis is not advisable.

2. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

1

Answered . This question provides a mess to sort through using a few legal answers to numerous weighty questions. The wife/lady friend will not be liable for your debts but you will. I cannot predict how immigration law will operate 5/10 years from now but judging by how it's going, you'll be barred from returning until all your debts are paid.

3. Richard Gordon Stack

2

Answered . The other attorneys are correct. If you do not resolve your past due debts, you will have a difficult time obtaining U.S. permanent residency status 5 or 10 years from now. Also, as my immigration law colleague aptly noted, the standards for being admitted to the U.S. are becoming increasingly stringent. I suggest that you get your financial house in order and settle up your past-due debts (especially your potential personal liability for your former U.S. company's unpaid taxes, see IRC Sec. 6672) before you seek permanent U.S. residency. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!