Will my uncle be denied reentry back in to the usa?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Stamford, CT

My uncle was arrested in 2000 for a drug possession charge served 9 months and was given 5 years probation. He completed his probation with no issues. Since then he has worked a stable job. Worked construction alongside police officers and fire fighters. He has been a good citizen. He is currently a permanent resident of the USA. I want him to travel with me back home to the Dominican republic but he is afraid that upon reentry he will be denied. I am a Department of Defense contractor currently overseas. Will that be of any help upon reentry if he does end up getting stopped.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert C Ross

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is a serious and significant risk that he will be placed into removal proceedings if he leaves the country and returns. Whether he has a defense would depend on the facts of the case. He should speak with an experienced attorney before considering doing this.

    The above is not legal advice. It is general information. I only give legal advice to those who have a retainer... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He should NOT travel.

    He should meet with an attorney to discuss his situation.

    Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
    franco@capriotti.com -- 1-503-803-0055 -- www.capriotti.com

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only.... more
  3. Francis John Cowhig

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Depending on the exact criminal charges he was convicted of and drug that he was convicted of possessing, it is possible that he could be placed in removal proceedings as either being inadmissible to enter the U.S. or removable based upon his drug conviction. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your arrest. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.

    Legal disclaimer: The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now