Will my tax return be taken if I file bankruptcy?

Asked 8 months ago - Portland, OR

I am thinking about filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy but want to know what that does for my tax return if I do so?

1. Yunus M. Paisner

7

Answered . The answer to your question depends on several factors. The first is the amount of your tax return; if it is small then maybe you can protect it with your wildcard exemption. Another factor is which trustee you get in your case. Some trustees are more aggressive about going after your tax return; others don't bother.

2. Robert J Adams Jr.

Pro

8

Answered . A tax refund is an asset and must be declared. You can apply the exemptions. OR allows the use of either the federal exemptions or the state exemption. As Ms. Larkin suggested if you are to receive a large refund (other than child credit or low income credit) wait until you receive it. OR state exemption include up to $7,500 in a bank account.

3. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

8

Answered . The return is the paperwork, and every bankruptcy trustee requires you to turn over the paperwork. The refund is the money, & whether you can keep the refund depends on the exemptions that are available to you and how skillfully you chose those exemptions. Hope this perspective helps!

4. Shaye Larkin

7

Answered . It depends on whether you have any exemptions you can assert to protect the refund. And what exemptions you would use depends on whether you have lived in your present state for at least the past two years. You can always delay filing bankruptcy until after you have received and spent your tax refund, but bankruptcy trustees often what to know where that money went, so it's best you get a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney now so you can properly plan and avoid making any mistakes that may come back to bite you later.

5. Brian T Hemphill

5

Answered . In some circumstances, the bankruptcy trustee will claim your tax refund. For example, it may depend on the amount of your refund, whether you have claimed any bankruptcy exemptions to protect the refund, whether you have other non-exempt assets, whether any part of the debt is Earned Income Credit, and whether you owe prority debts (such as back child support or back taxes).

If you want more information, you should discuss your case with an Oregon bankruptcy attorney.

6. Brent J Jensen

4

Answered . If you file bankruptcy before you receive your refund, it is most likely that the trustee will take the refund. If you file bankruptcy after you receive your refund, it is most likely that you will get to keep your refund. The refund can also be used to hire an attorney to file a bankruptcy for you. It is well worth it to have a professional guide you through the process.