Will my tax refund which is all from EEC be exempt in Maine chapter 7 bankrupcy?

Asked 9 months ago - Milo, ME

I did not have any federal taxes witheld in 2013 because I qualifed for EEC in 2012. Therefore my refund will be entirely from EEC. Is my refund mine to keep for an emergency fund when I file chapter 7? Can I use part of it to "buy back" property (family heirloom) that is non-exempt from the trustee?

1. Brett D Weiss

Pro

1

1

Answered . Do you mean EIC (Earned Income Credit)? If so, it might be exempt. If it is, you can use it to buy back a non-exempt asset from the trustee. If it is exempt, you keep it without needing to buy it back.

2. Blake Owen Brewer

1

Answered . You need to review this with a Maine attorney, you can find one on this web site using the Find A Lawyer tab. You need to understand the available exemptions. But if the cash is exempt, you can use it for any purpose you wish.

3. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . Unless your state has a specific law or a wild card providing that this money is exempt, it probably isn't. I am attaching a link to a general description of the exemptions allowed in all 50 states. Hope this perspective helps!

4. Brent J Jensen

Answered . Only someone familiar with Maine bankruptcy law can tell you. Here in Utah the tax refund is the most often seized property in a Ch 7. In a Ch 13 the debtor is allowed to keep up to $1000 of the EIC tax refund. You need to speak with someone who practices in Maine to see what happens in your district.