Will my soon-to-be bride get any benefits from social security if I'm disabled?

Asked over 2 years ago - Novi, MI

I am getting married in a week or so and was just wondering what benefits if any my fiancee is entitled to? I have been on Social Security Disability (not SSI) since 2006.

1. Clifford Michael Farrell

6

1

Answered . There are no benefits paid to the spouse of a disabled worker who is getting SSDI. If you have dependent children under 18 and still in high school, there may be benefits for the children, depending on your earnings when you were able to work, and there are possibly some benefits available for your wife as the mother - if she is the mother, but that is all I can think of. If you stay married for 10 years she could be eligible as a disabled widow if she is between 50 and 60 and is disabled, or as a surviving widow if she is over 60 regardless of her medical condition.

Good luck to you!
    ------------------------------------------
    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.