Will my soon-to-be bride get any benefits from social security if I'm disabled?

Novi, MI |

I am getting married in a week or so and was just wondering what benefits if any my fiancee is entitled to? I have been on Social Security Disability (not SSI) since 2006.

1. There are no benefits paid to the spouse of a disabled worker who is getting SSDI. If you have dependent children under 18 and still in high school, there may be benefits for the children, depending on your earnings when you were able to work, and there are possibly some benefits available for your wife as the mother - if she is the mother, but that is all I can think of. If you stay married for 10 years she could be eligible as a disabled widow if she is between 50 and 60 and is disabled, or as a surviving widow if she is over 60 regardless of her medical condition.

Good luck to you!
    ------------------------------------------
    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Social security topics