Will my son have to do jail time.

Asked over 2 years ago - Manteca, CA

he was arrested for conspericy comit crime.grand theft of personel property.receving known stolen property.vehical theft.,,he,s never been in jail.he dosent have pryers.what should i expect to happen when i got to court today.on him.hes in jail rightb know.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Chris J Feasel

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you haven't hired an attorney for him, then he will be appointed a public defender (assuming neither of you can afford an attorney). He will plead not guilty, the PD will ask that he be released on OR or lower his bail, and the case will be set for further proceedings down the road. Talk to his attorney and stay involved - only his attorney, who will have the facts and the police report, can tell you what really to expect with his case. Good luck.

    Mr. Feasel is a former Deputy DA in the SF Bay Area with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated... more
  2. Matthew Lee Spiegel

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . How old is your son? If he is under 18 and in juvenile court then the proceedings will be much different than if he is in adult court. The punishment in juvenile court is also likely to be much less severe. Please provide some more information so that we can better assess your situation. However, please note, that no matter what info you provide, it is going to be impossible for anyone to tell you with certainty whether your son will do jail time. Better to speak directly with a lawyer about the case and see if you need help.

    Spiegel Law Group
    109 W. C St.
    San Diego, CA 92101

    This response is intended as general advice and does not constitute legal advice, nor does the answer to this... more
  3. Rodney Richard Rusca

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sounds like felonies of the non violent nature. There is a good chance he could get a deal that involves felony probation and punishment, but there is a possibility of prison. In my experience, theft means a drug problem. In that case, I would shoot for felony probation with an in patient program.

    If getting him out of jail is a priority, you may have to post bail. I would let his public defender make an argument for honor release today as it is possible.

Related Topics

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Criminal charges for theft

Theft is taking someone's property without his or her consent. Theft includes, but is not limited to, shoplifting, taking someone's mail, and stealing a car.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,105 answers this week

3,338 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,105 answers this week

3,338 attorneys answering