Skip to main content

Will my sealed record come back to haunt me?

Wood River, IL |

I was young and stupid, I stole something and got arrested. I'm kind of glad it happened because it got my life in line. I'm about to graduate from college with honors and top 15% of my class. I'm about to enter the work force and I'm just curious as to if it will affect my job search. I was arrested at 16 I am now 22

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Without more information, it not possible to answer your question. You should probably consult with a local criminal defense attorney who will be able to ascertain the nature of the charges, the disposition, your age at that time, etc. Good luck to you and congratulations on your admitable turnaround.

  2. If it has been sealed, it should not be available to anyone outside of law enforcement.

    Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O

  3. A sealed (not expunged record) should remain sealed for the purposes of employment background checks, thus you should be fine. To make sure, please bring any relevant documents to a criminal defense attorney for a closer analysis.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Juvenile law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics