Will my pregnancy get my boyfriend in trouble?

Leslie, MI |

I am 5 months pregnant and my baby was concieved when I was 15 years old. I know that the age of sexual consent is 16 in Michigan. My boyfriend is 19 years old and will be 20 before I have the baby. When I have the baby and the hospital takes all the information and stuff, will they have to report that my boyfriend and I had sex while I was underage? Is he going to be sent to jail? Would he be listed as a sex offender?

No one on this forum has a crystal ball and an ability to predict the future would be required to answer your question. It depends on whether the matter comes to the attention of law enforcement. I've seen cases like this where nothing happens and others where a report is made. Unfortunately, no one will know until something happens. The important thing for now is to get the medical attention you need.

This is a tough situation. However, the so-called Romeo and Juliet law protects certain individuals from having to otherwise be on the sex offender list. According to the law, having sex with someone under the age of 16 is still illegal and punishable by law. However, the Romeo and Juliet Law lessens the penalty for those who are no more than four years older than their sexual partner.

I agree with the other answer. The important thing now is to get the medical attention that you need. Nobody can tell you what will happen.

While I agree that you should focus your efforts on obtaining proper medical treatment, the legalities of your situation would depend upon the state where conception occurred. The age of consent laws vary by state. If you have any further questions regarding this matter, or if you have any further concerns, you should consult a proper lawyer for further guidance.

This answer is not intended to provide legal advice and it further does not operate to create an attorney/client relationship. You should always consult with a lawyer with a full disclosure of all of the facts and circumstances.