Will my name remain on a mortgage after filing ch 7? I am divorced, ex spouse not filing BK and we are both on mortgage.

Island Lake, IL |

My ex is keeping the house and although he has been behind on payments, he is currently in a trial period for a modification. Will my name come off the mortgage and if not will I be able to obtain another FHA loan in the future? I'm afraid I won't be able to move forward if he doesn't refinance or let the house go in foreclosure.

1. If the modification goes through, you will be off the mortgage, just as if there were a complete new refinance.

2. If you receive a discharge then you will no longer owe the mortgage company. you also will have the Chapter 7 on your credit report for 10 years which will make it pretty difficult to get another loan in the future.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

3. Your discharge should relieve you of responsibility for any deficiency on the mortgage. You should review any separation agreement you made during the divorce to see if you are responsible for the mortgage or have any claim to equity in the home. Be sure your bankruptcy lawyer sees a copy of it.

For informational purposes only. Not legal advice.

4. Your name will not come off the mortgage though your personal liability for the mortgage will be discharged. Nonetheless, it will be difficult to get a new mortgage in your sole name until the old mortgage is foreclosed, the property is sold or the mortgage is refinanced in your ex'es sole name.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

5. I would add to earlier answers that your ex-husband may find that your bankruptcy interrupts the modification process and/or that you will have to participate in the modification process.

The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to adequately advise you. The response provided is intended to be informative, but not final. You are advised to arrange a consultation at which all facts and documents can be explored and terms for representation agreed. An attorney-client relationship must be formally established.

6. If you file bankruptcy, you will no longer be personally liable for the debt. However, your name will still be on the mortgage (lien) that the bank has. This just means that you may be sued for technical reasons only (not for the debt) in the future if your ex doesn't keep up the payments and goes into foreclosure. As for getting a new loan, until the old loan is refinanced and taken out of your name it may be difficult to get financing especially with the bankruptcy.