Will my little brother serve 7 years?

Concord, CA |
Filed under: Criminal charges

My little brother is on felony probation for assault and battery, he's been doing really well since his release from county and has made incredible self improvements since then. He's recently been detained for false trespassing charges due to the fact the beach he was on was a public beach.. He is facing 5-7 years in prison if he violates his probation.. What are the chances of this happening?

The chances are far greater is he is not represented by an experienced criminal defense attorney. The only control a defendant exercises once charges are filed is who his legal representative is. If you want to help him, help him secure the best attorney possible to represent him.

His court date is this tuesday, for me to come up with the money for an experienced attorney by then would be impossible.. i was just hoping for some positive feedback. i do know that police make it very hard for people on parole or probation to build a decent life by constantly harassing them and detaining them for pointless things. I've had first hand experience with this! and lucky for me i was able to make it out of this system they've created... i was just hoping that this was one of those instances...

And with all do respect, based off of your answer it sounds like the chances of this happening are quite slim.

And thank you for answering my question.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Here's the problem with your question. This forum, at least by written posts back and forth, is no suitable for securing the kind of help you are hoping for. A private and confidential conversation with an attorney is the only way sufficient facts can be developed to provide you with a useful response. Most attorneys who participate here offer free consultations. In that context you might well get what you are looking for. I understand your observation about the probation/parole system's operation, and this may well be an instance of a PO messing with one of his clients. Although I'm not licensed in CA, if you are interested I would be happy to speak privately with you in hopes of giving you a bit more insight under the circumstances. Send me an email directly if you are interested in continuing this discussion in a meaningful setting. wajonesjresq@gmail.com

How could he have trespassed on a public beach? Get a lawyer.

I suspect your post is missing some key information. As Mr. Kaman pointed out if your brother was on a public beach, that doesn't sound like trespassing unless he was specifically prohibited by his probation conditions from going to that beach, which doesn't make any sense. When you say he is facing 5-7 years in prison for a violation, it sounds like he may have a suspended sentence hanging over him. Based on what you have written and recognizing that we don't have all the facts, including whether he has a suspended sentence hanging over him, he's probably not go to state prison.