Will my license get suspended for not having insurance? If so, will I be able to have work privileges? Can I get Sued?

Asked about 1 year ago - Toledo, OH

I had rear-ended a woman in a high traffic construction area going about 5mph. She Immediately got out of her car, so I know she was okay. Later, when the police arrived, I gave them my info and old insurance card, but realized I did not have current car insurance. They let me drive away, so I assumed they checked, and found that I did have insurance. On the ticked they gave me, the "Financial Responsibility Proof" box was checked "yes". I thought everything was okay, until an ambulance came and took her on a stretcher. Looking at my ticket, there is a box checked marked for "injury" but I was not injured. Please Help!!

1. Gilbert Richard Hoy Jr

Pro

4

Answered . Consult a local car accident lawyer expert asap. Get a free consultation.

Pro

4

Answered . Best to call a local car accident lawyer in your city to discuss in detail.

3. Robert Perez Soto

2

Answered . If you were driving without active car insurance when the accident occurred then, yes, it is possible that your driver’s license could be suspended. Depending on the facts and circumstances, you could receive a (1) non-compliance suspension and/or a (2) security suspension. Each suspension carries different penalties and requirements before your license be returned to active status. In addition, a non-compliance suspension may require you to obtain a SR-22/Bond (aka “high risk insurance”) for a period of time. The length of the suspension can vary depending on whether you have had similar suspensions in the past. However, if you had active car insurance at the time accident, then neither of these suspensions should be an issue. If your license is suspended, you may be eligible to get limited driving privileges for work, but it will depend on a number of circumstances including your driving record.

Lastly, yes, it is possible that you could be sued. However, whether the other driver has a good claim against you is another question. If you had active car insurance at the time of the accident, you should contact your insurance company immediately. If not, you should contact an attorney who practices in the areas of civil litigation and criminal/traffic defense to review your situation and potential options.

Please feel free to contact our office for a free consultation at (419) 931-0067.

4. Jonathan David Marx

3

Answered . If you have valid insurance, call the company and report the accident, if you do not have valid insurance, contact an attorney at once, best of luck.

5. Tatiana Kadetskaya

2

Answered . Please retain a local attorney to resolve this.