Skip to main content

Will my license be suspended?

Riverside, CA |

I was in an automobile accident at the end of last month. There were no injuries although there was significant damage to my car. I didn't report the accident until the middle of this month. I don't understand if you have to report 10 days from the day of the accident or from the time that I was informed of the extent of the damage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Licenses are suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles only after law enforcement takes actions and convictions enter. If you have been charged with traffic violations for involvement in the collision, you are indeed in jeopardy of losing your license if enough points against your license are at stake.

You need an experienced criminal defense attorney that deals with traffic matters to maximize the chances of retaining your driving privileges.

Best of luck to you!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


I tend to agree with Mr. Deasy. You may want to consult with a local attorney to help you keep your rights to drive. There are a variety of criminal defense attorneys here on Avvo to assist you in your case. Best of luck.


More facts are needed to advise you. Consult a local criminal defense attorney to investigate the incident and protect your rights.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Under California law, you have 10 days to file an SR-1 form following a collision involving either injuries or more than $750 in property damage. If you did not file within the 10 days because you did not know that there were injuries or more than $750 in damage, it is unlikely that the DMV will suspend your license for failure to file the SR-1 timely. However, I would file the form as soon as possible if you did later discover that there is more than $750 in damage. If the DMV has not already taken action against your license for an untimely filing of the SR-1 form, and you subsequently filed the form, then I do not anticipate that the DMV continue to address this issue. If the DMV has sent you a notice, then it would be prudent for you to file an SR-1 form promptly and contact an attorney at that point, if need be.

Marc Lazarus


File the SR-1 form.


Accidents without injury but having severe property damage must be reported otherwise there can be licensure consequences. Report the car accident immediately. Call an attorney in the county in which you reside to help with the accident and claim.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer