Will my insurance rates go up after a DUI even though I wasn't driving my own car?

San Jose, CA |

I was recently pulled over and charged with DUI while driving my friend's car with her in the passenger seat. Will my insurance rate go up even if I wasn't driving my own car?

This is my first offense and have no criminal history. Thank you.

You insurance carrier will eventually adjust your status and rates if you are suspended by the DMV and/or convicted of a DUI. It doesn't matter whose car you were driving at the time of the arrest.

Your question caught my attention. Perhaps you are concerned about this consequence because you have legal counsel representing you in whom you have a high level of trust. If you don't have such, then I strongly recommend that you take care of first things first. As a first offender there are likely options open to you in the handling of your case. Don't figure it out on your own, consult with a good criminal attorney experienced in the handling of DUI cases. I'm sure you will soon be hearing from some of the outstanding attorneys in your area who participate here. Start talking privately with one or more of them so you can limit or eliminate potential negative future consequences form this arrest. Trust me insurance rates are not the only nor the most important types of future fallout. Good luck.

First you need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you on the DUI charge. Consequences are potential loss of freedom, driver license sanctions, your money for fines and costs, and loss of license and cancellation of insurance until your license is reinstated, then increased auto insurance as a higher insurance risk driver. Get a good criminal defense lawyer to advise you.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

You should do a Google search or Avvo search for a good criminal lawyer to handle the case. It does not matter what car you were driving, your insurance is probably going to double when they discover the conviction. Ask for a flat rate so that you can compare fees and know what the fee is before you sign the retainer agreement, it is a much better way to go than to just agree to pay what they ask for after you have obliged yourself. An educated consumer makes better decisions and cuts better deals with lawyers, car salesmen, mechanics, and others because they have the knowledge and experience to negotiate for a price or a fee and they have the ability to choose highly experienced and trustworthy professionals.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Excellent shopping advice.

John J. Carney

John J. Carney

Is that not good advice? Are you being sarcastic counselor?

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Relax my friend. My comment is heartfelt and sincere as can be; wish they were my words.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

After sending what I just did, I looked at my answer from your point of view and I can see how you could have missed the intended tone. For creating the confusion, I now offer my sincere apologies.

John J. Carney

John J. Carney

No problem, I was just wondering if I said something wrong.